Wisdom from the Wizard--The following quotes from Selfish Wizard are our favorite aphorisms from behind the curtain.
Self-interest powers our actions, the way gravity powers the movements of the planets, the stars and the galaxies.
- Man’s ultimate concern is himself.
- Worship yourself as the creator of all things in your own life.
- Man is his own highest power.
- Man lives for his own sake.
- What passes for altruism is mere self-interested cooperation with others.
- Each person lives in his own virtual reality machine.
- All man can experience is himself.
- Man is not a rational being but a subjective one.
- Intentionality is always an expression of self-interest.
- Even a collective unconscious can only be experienced individually.
- Two lovers are not a “beast with two backs” but two beasts furiously seeking their own separate pleasures.
- There is no conversation more boring than with a person you don’t want anything from.
- We all want to be ourselves and to be recognized everywhere for it.
- Men and women take what they want from each other and do their best to ignore the rest.
Self-interest is the only compass for resolving ethical and moral questions.
- Morality is just an opinion.
- People who talk about morality rarely ask what it means.
- There is no such thing as a moral fact.
- Morality is a mask for what people want to do anyway.
- Good must be good for something; it cannot exist in the abstract.
- Good is what’s good for you; evil is anything not in your interest.
- Like time and space, good and evil are relative to the position of the observer.
- Compassion is what you feel when you realize you could suffer the same misfortune someone else already has.
- Empathy is the delusion that you know what someone else feels like exclusively by reference to your own feelings.
- Heroes are chosen as the expression of aspirational group values.
God is an avatar for the self.
- The Universe is a free market system.
- What does god do for the living?
- Who is the god who does not exist?
- Whether god exists or not, things here on earth can only be just the same as they are now.
- God’s non-existence is just the tip of the iceberg.
- God must not be very important if its very existence can be debated.
- All gods express human ideas and behaviors. Each god is a mask for some aspect of the human self. The wisdom of gods that exist is what they express of the nature of man.
- God sprang from the forehead of man.
- God exists only in the minds of believers.
- God mirrors the believer; each justifies the other which is no other than himself.
- God’s believers don’t know what the god is that they believe in.
- God is a dead end for thought.
- The devil is god’s favorite policeman and jailor; if you don’t do what god wants, the devil will take you to hell.
Will is free or it is not will.
- Will is free, most everything else costs money.
- You are responsible for your actions whether you believe in free will or not.
- It’s not my fault, my brain made me do it!
- Free will from the slavery of determinism.
- The question for you is always what you are going to do in the matter.
- Free will is what you do in the face of a multitude of constraints.
- Free will exists whether you are conscious of it or not.
- If you are determined to be a determinist you cannot argue effectively about determinism.
"The human dilemma is that we are only interested in ourselves, yet we only obtain life's benefits by cooperating with others."
- Cooperation exists at every level of nature from atoms, to molecules to cells to neurons to beings.
- Gravity is a cooperative relationship.
- The only objective reality is subjective self-interest.
- The purpose of morality is cooperation.
- All human cooperation and group organizations are based on myths and fictions designed to overcome the reality of subjective self-interest.
- Religions are shared myths designed to spur cooperation in the face of the actual disparate interests of individual believers.
- Cooperation based on shared illusions and myths can create significant benefits.
- Cooperation is the basis of all human progress and is an important element of actualizing individual self-interest.
"Consciousness is not in the mind, it is a condition of being human."
- The consciousness of one being cannot be accessible to any other being.
- The location of consciousness is in each separate living being.
- Consciousness can be trained, influenced, misled and educated to think deeply.
- Consciousness contains contradictory and mutually exclusive ideas and desires.
- Consciousness enables cooperation.
- Animals are just as conscious as they need to be.
- Chimpanzees haven't invented computers because they do not have a need for computers and therefore cannot cooperate in creating them.
The Reality Delusion
"Reality is always observer dependent."
- There is no reliable bridge between subjective perception and objective reality.
- All perception is subjective and perceived internally by the individual.
- There can never be an objective observer.
- The meaning of the concept of god is that of an objective observer and an objective observer is an epistemological impossibility.
- Appearances are exactly what they appear to be.
- Our senses are designed only to identify things that are helpful or harmful to the individual and its subjective interests; they are not designed to conceptualize a concept called "reality."